May 1, 2018
This week, we take a look at two very different types of
First, both Charles and Jeff admire the stones of the long-awaited Marvel blockbuster tentpole AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR, which just set a new opening weekend box office record with a haul of $250 million over three days (besting the previous mark of $247.9 million set by STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS).
Then for an avenger of a much darker sort, there's Joaquin Phoenix as a deeply troubled vigilante hitman who rescues underage girls from the sex trade, in Lynne Ramsey's latest YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE.
All that, plus Jeff takes a quick look at LEAN ON PETE, a more sobering and realistic portrayal of the "boy and his horse" archetype, from U.K. director Andrew Haigh (45 YEARS). Also, at the very end of the episode, we play a bonus clip of Haigh giving his pitch for a Marvel movie to Elvis Mitchell, host of KCRW's "The Treatment".
- AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR, @
- LEAN ON PETE, @ 30:55
- YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE, @ 36:33
- OUTRO, @
- BONUS CLIP, @
- "Avengers Theme", Alan Silvestri (AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR)
- "Sandy's Necklace", Jonny Greenwood (YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE)
- "Dark Street", Jonny Greenwood (YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE)